After the premature announcement of a ‘crown-free’ country in June, the authorities admit that the infection rate per 100,000 inhabitants is currently the highest in the Western Balkans.
After the government announced Montenegro as “crown-free” in June, the authorities admitted that it has the highest number of active cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the region. On Wednesday, the Institute of Public Health reported that there were 1,453 active coronavirus infections in the country, with 231 active cases per 100,000 citizens. This is the highest rate in the region. Northern Macedonia comes in second with 167 active infections per 100,000, while Bosnia and Herzegovina come third with 109. Serbia has 66 active cases per 100,000, Albania 52, and Croatia 28.
The head of the National Coordinating Body for Infectious Diseases Milutin Simovic said that no new restrictive measures are planned, even if the number of infections is still increasing. “There will be no restrictive measures such as blocking so far. We have to go out and work because, thanks to the economy, we also defend public health, “said Simovic to the public broadcaster. “We must observe preventive measures and be disciplined, as we did during the first wave of the epidemic,” he added.
During the first wave of coronavirus in Montenegro, 324 infections and four deaths occurred. From March to May, the government declared an epidemic in the country and imposed restrictive measures, including closing and closing borders, shops, shopping centers, cafes, and hotels. Schools and universities were also closed, and public gatherings and inter-city traffic were prohibited.
On May 25, Prime Minister Dusko Marković proclaimed “crown-free” Montenegro and all preventive measures were lifted. On June 14, the first seven new cases of coronavirus were recorded in Rozaje and Budva.
As this number increased every day, the National Coordinating Authority declared an epidemic in Rozaje, Bijelo Polje, Gusinje, Petnjica, and Berane. In these cities, all public meetings are banned and restaurants and cafes are closed. On July 13, the head of the Institute of Public Health, Boban Mugosa, said the virus was probably imported after Montenegro reopened its borders.